Thursday, September 29, 2011

Psalm 63

I asked for prayer for God's provision and protection in a specific situation in my life currently (the one mentioned in yesterday's Romans 12:9-12 blog).  I woke up this morning, not sure what Scripture to read.  I read through some devotionals and the Scriptures were great, but none of them stuck to my heart the way I needed them to... the way I needed to hear God's whispering to a weary heart in the early morning.  As I thought and prayed about what to read, Psalm 63 came to mind... and I have to tell you this is one of my favorite passages in all of the Bible!!!  Favorite as in when I returned from Africa and went to buy my new compact Bible, Psalm 62 and 63 had to be laid out in a specific way on the same page... and of course a favorite for other reasons as well, like the peace and comfort I get from it every time I read it.  I have not read through Psalm 63 in quite some time so I was pretty pumped!!!  God knew exactly what my heart needed and as a friend has said multiple times to me recently it is a "God-incidence not a coincidence".  A God-incidence so early in my day... just like that after being awake for only a few short hours, God provided a visible way to ease my tired heart.  What drew me in even more and moved me my heart was the theme for Psalm 63 in my Life Application Bible:  "A desire for God's presence, provision, and protection.  No matter where we are, our desire should be for God because only he satisfies fully."  Just like that.  What I had asked for...  not coincidence... God-incidence and an answer to prayer.
-----------------------------------------------
1 O God, you are my God;
      I earnestly search for you.
   My soul thirsts for you;
      my whole body longs for you
   in this parched and weary land
      where there is no water.
 2 I have seen you in your sanctuary
      and gazed upon your power and glory.
 3 Your unfailing love is better than life itself;
      how I praise you!
 4 I will praise you as long as I live,
      lifting up my hands to you in prayer.
 5 You satisfy me more than the richest feast.
      I will praise you with songs of joy.
 6 I lie awake thinking of you,
      meditating on you through the night.
 7 Because you are my helper,
      I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings.
 8 I cling to you;
      your strong right hand holds me securely.
 9 But those plotting to destroy me will come to ruin.
      They will go down into the depths of the earth.
 10 They will die by the sword
      and become the food of jackals.
 11 But the king will rejoice in God.
      All who trust in him will praise him,
      while liars will be silenced."


~*Psalm 63 (NLT)*~

No comments:

Post a Comment