Wednesday, September 14, 2011

John 8:31-32

"Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings.  And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”"

~*John 8:31-32 (NLT)*~
-------------------------------------------------
"You will never be good enough."  So often Satan has fed me this line and I have believed it.  So many people believe it even though it is not true.  This is where Satan usually starts the lies in my mind:  Not Good Enough.  It could be the story of my life if I chose it to be.  But that statement is so untrue.  Truth not perception... something I have been working on the past two years with a mentor.  God-talk, not self-talk.  So this morning, a devotional struck my heart.  It met me where I needed to be met.  I wanted to share it with you.  The author of the devotional used John 10:10 to start (a great verse that I would recommend taking a look at).  However, I chose John 8:31-32 because of the comfort it has given to my broken heart so often.  Jesus is the truth, and only He can set me free.  So here are the points from my reading that I wanted to highlight.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!!!

----------------------------------------

My thoughts: I want to give up.
God's Word: Be committed.

"You have also heard that our ancestors were told, ‘You must not break your vows; you must carry out the vows you make to the Lord.'  But I say, do not make any vows! Do not say, ‘By heaven!’ because heaven is God’s throne.  And do not say, ‘By the earth!’ because the earth is his footstool. And do not say, ‘By Jerusalem!’ for Jerusalem is the city of the great King.  Do not even say, ‘By my head!’ for you can’t turn one hair white or black.  Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one."
Matthew 5:33-37

My thoughts: I'll feel lost.
God's Word: He watches my paths and establishes my ways.

"For the Lord sees clearly what a man does,
      examining every path he takes."
Proverbs 5:21

"Mark out a straight path for your feet;
      stay on the safe path."
Proverbs 4:26

My thoughts: No one loves me.
God's Word: He loves me more than life.

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life."
John 3:16

My thoughts: I'm ugly.
God's Word: I'm wonderfully made.

"Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
      Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it."
Psalm 139:14

My thoughts: I'm all alone and no one understands me.
God's Word: He will never leave me. He has plans for my life.

"So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.”
Deuteronomy 31:6

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.""
Jeremiah 29:11

My thoughts: I'm just not good enough.
God's Word: I was created in His image.

"Then God said, “Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground.”"
Genesis 1:26

No comments:

Post a Comment