Thursday, June 2, 2011

Revelation 3:15-21

What does it mean to be lukewarm? Jesus defines lukewarm as neither hot nor cold... simply put. Unfortunately it is not that simple to live out. What does "lukewarm" look like in our Christian lives? A few months ago, I read the book "The Christian Atheist" by Craig Groeschel, the pastor of Lifechurch. The title is not a misprint. You talk about convicting truth and a long definition of "lukewarm". I remember several years ago sitting in the back of my Stats class at KSU with a friend. We sat in the back... and did not really pay attention all the time. He started giggling to himself (he the Christian, me not so much). He proceeded to show me Revelation 3:15-16. At that time, I thought that was a bit harsh for Jesus to say. He would spit me out of his mouth? How gross is that? I thought Jesus loved everybody so why would he say something like that?

As I have grown and matured in my faith, however, I see how important hot and cold are. I see how Jesus is justified (obviously) and how living a lukewarm life would be kind of like living a double life. To me it looks like putting God in a box in your life as opposed to putting your life in a box belonging to God. We are safe in God's box. It looks like sitting on a fence, straddling it, a foot on each side because I am unable to make a decide between flesh and Christ. It is understanding that Jesus does not want part of us, half of us, only one leg of us. He wants ALL of us... all of us on his side of the fence. It would almost seem to me to be lukewarm than it would be to be hot or cold. A double life? I lived it. Did I really know who I was? Can you discern who you really truly are living a double life?

I now see Jesus. Through the Scripture, we see the requests and examples of how to live. Through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we begin to understand how to live a Biblical life and begin to do it. Conviction may be more present than before but the line (choice) between hot and cold seemed to be more evident to me. Choices that should be made are more obvious. Scripture takes on a new meaning, becomes more "clear", and is no longer necessarily a rule-book for how to live life right. It is not a rule-book because rules are enforced and Jesus does not force us to obey. It is an invitation into love and an example of how to live it out. Do you have a friend who just knocks and enters without you saying yes or no? Does Jesus force his way into our lives? Jesus knocks... and then he waits. Patiently he waits for us to hear him calling, hear his knock, and invite him into our lives. He waits for us to warm up and come to the door. Do you have a friend or family member who hugs you as soon as they enter your house? Jesus is waiting at the door, arms wide open, inviting us into his warm, loving embrace as soon as we open our hearts to him.
---------------------------------
"I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! You say, 'I am rich. I have everything I want. I don't need a thing!' And you don't realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. So I advise you to buy gold from me -- gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference.

Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne."

~*Revelation 3:15-21 (NLT)*~

No comments:

Post a Comment