Friday, June 10, 2011

Philippians 4:10-13

I have wondered what it would be like to be content in all circumstances, all the time, regardless of the outcome of a situation. How did Paul manage that? I find it rather incredible that he was that awesome!!! I am an honest person so here is some truth for ya: I constantly struggle with contentment whether it is my finances, weight, or relationship status. Those are definitely the three things I struggle with the most. I know God is with me in it all, but I still struggle.

My contentment could be a roller coaster ride because one day everything is hunky dory and as high as ever and I am doing back flips, completely content in life. The next day my head is spinning, making me feel a bit sick, and threatening to run me into the ground only to straighten up a few feet above. So why the changes, highs, lows, flips, and twists? This is the conclusion I have come to and I think that it is probably fairly accurate: the high points are the days when my life is filled with God and he is the focus and center of my heart. Unfortunately, in order to make my life, the roller-coaster, interesting I throw in some twists and low points with jealousy and a self-centered heart.

I find it difficult to be content with all that I have... some because so much serves as a distraction for my heart, pulling it away from God. A few years ago, before I went to Africa, I remember having a conversation with a friend about the people who lived there. I was blessed to experience their happiness and joy first hand. I saw the children who appear in National Geographic and on AIDS Awareness posters. I lived with them. I saw people who, compared to us, have very little and are suffering from what we consider poverty. The thing that caught my attention was how they lived with a smile on their face, living in community with others, one relying on another. I had often wondered why and how they could look at us and smile. I wondered how they could see us looking at them and not be angry that we could not do more or jealous because we live in luxury compared to them. Do they have a secret?

It showed me something: even though they were poor in the flesh, they were happy for what they did have. There usually are not iPods, iPads, iPhones, any phones, internet, HD TV, movie theaters, and sports entertainment to enjoy the way we do here in the rich world. There are simply, from my perspective, fewer distractions. But maybe they are just content. Content in their lives with what we consider a little. And here I sit, a carpeted home, bedroom to myself, a bigger apartment than house in Africa, warm running water instead of a bucket bath, typing freely on my blog (although my internet is acting up and being quite annoying at the moment), with a pretty much brand new TV in our living room.

And yet, here I sit, discontent with my discontentment and the only way to look is up to heaven to ask for forgiveness in my selfishness. And Paul was awesome and content because of Christ. Christ is the way to contentment. Full out, whole-heartedly running after contentment is to look to Christ and give thanks for the life that he gave for me to live the way that I do.
------------------------------------
"..... for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."

~*Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)*~

No comments:

Post a Comment