Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Numbers 23:19

When somebody makes a promise, my first reaction is usually doubt. I may not show it on the surface but I feel the doubt creep into my heart. I have broken so many promises as well as have had promises broken, big and small, more than can be counted or remembered. It hurts when somebody promises and doesn't follow through. It is tough when somebody does not back up their talk with their actions. I have struggled with the hurt, taking promises personally and shrugging off the reality that we are human and that we fail.... OFTEN. We are NOT perfect. So often, I have applied the imperfect, promise breaking tendencies of people to God. The difference, however, is that I have not taken his promises personally and I have shrugged off the reality that He IS PERFECT and he will NEVER FAIL.

The standards of the imperfection of man I have applied to God and have taken God's characteristics of perfection and applied them to man. This is SO wrong and messed up, I know. Funny how that works. This is how so many of our minds work: since I have been let down and hurt by man, surely God will do the same. Thing is, God is not man (which is AWESOME)!! God is almighty and perfect, he will not wrong us, cause us to sin, and will not let us down. God will not make a promise that he will not keep. All promises made by God will be kept by him and all that is said by God will be acted upon by him. This I have faith in. It is a wonderful feeling to know that there is one that will never fail. When God makes a promise, God keeps a promise. It is written all over the Bible.
------------------------------------
"God is not a man, so he does not lie.
He is not human, so he does not change his mind.
Has he ever spoken and failed to act?
Has he ever promised and not carried it through?"

~*Numbers 23:19 (NLT)*~

No comments:

Post a Comment