Monday, June 6, 2011

John 5:24-29

Isn't the assurance of something such an amazing comfort? In a world where very little can be guaranteed, Jesus gives us the assurance of eternal life through faith in him. But I wonder, do we sometimes attempt to take advantage of that? This last week has been an interesting one. Every message and devotional has seemed to lean towards knowing God's will and yet choosing to do otherwise. What does that mean to us when we know what God wants for us and yet we deliberately choose against it? Can we take advantage of God's grace? Is that even possible?

I catch myself at times doing or saying things that I know probably do not line up much with God's will. Often I complain instead of give thanks. I catch myself in gossip every now and then even though I do not like gossip and I know God does not enjoy it either. I realize these are only small things but I have been witness to other instances in the lives of those around me. What is it that makes us do what our flesh wants even though it is not what God wants? Do we think that our actions will somehow go unnoticed perhaps?

I used to think that WWJD was somewhat quite cheesy (and to be honest, Jesus would probably never be in a situation in which he'd have to ask "what would I do?"... just sayin). But really, when it comes to a decision, what to say, what to do, what to choose, wouldn't it be wise to ask what the Bible says in regards to the situation or action that is about to take place? And if there is something said against what you WANT to choose, wouldn't it be wise to choose AGAINST what you WANT and go with what Scripture says to do? Most of the time, at least speaking from experience, the Bible will have some sort of guidance or counsel in regards to a choice we are making. Why risk not following what you say you believe in? Wouldn't it be safer to go with God even if it may the more difficult or painful choice? Think about it... God's counsel is right there. What counsel is greater than His?
-------------------------------
"I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.

And I assure you that the time is coming, indeed it's here now, when the dead will hear my voice -- the voice of the Son of God. And those who listen will live. The Father has life in himself, and he has granted that same life-giving power to his Son. And he has given him authority to judge everyone because he is the Son of Man. Don't be so surprised! Indeed, the time is coming when all the dead in their graves will hear the voice of God's Son, and they will rise again. Those who have done good will rise to experience eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to experience judgment."

~*John 5:24-29 (NLT)*~

No comments:

Post a Comment