Saturday, July 30, 2011

Humble and Pray

It may have just hit me. I've heard it before, just never really thought about it much... or simply meditated on the meaning of the phrase. And then I heard it in a movie (Faith Like Potatoes). Humble yourself and pray. Simply put. Not simply done. I've read it over and over again and I have been told by so many people. What does it really mean? What really is prayer and why should we pray? Is it necessary to humble ourselves and what does that look like, humbling myself before God?

Being human, I try to do so much alone. I try to do it all on my own or rely too much on others to do it for me. I can be pretty stubborn and block headed... who knew right? I know that it is difficult for me to admit that I need help. Being human, though, means that I can not do it alone. Life requires faith. Real life requires faith in God to do what I can not do alone... the miracles, faith in the things unseen so that the things seen might be real. It is humbling to realize a need for help. To me, prayer, deep heart felt prayer is humbling because it is a cry for help. It is all over the book of Psalms... cry after cry for help. Prayer is humbling. Not only is it giving thanks for all that was once impossible being made possible by God, it is also acknowledging the fact that I am a weak individual who will always need help. It is a cry of faith to the one who has made all in His image and can do all in his infinite power and wisdom. Humbling is the realization that I can not do it all, but the Almighty, my Heavenly Father can do it all. Humble yourself and pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment