Monday, July 11, 2011

Matthew 28:16-20

Do you ever doubt that what you are doing is really what God wants you to be doing? Whether that be a temporary activity like a summer camp or short-term mission trip, or something a little more long term like a relationship or maybe even your job. I will be honest, being where I am right now is often doubted. It is not necessarily being in Manhattan that I doubt because God has continuously ministered to me while I have been here and He continues to do so. It is what I am doing with my life while I am here that I constantly question. I enjoy the people I am around every day but not necessarily my job or my "spare-time". The question marks and doubts generally pop up there. I read the passage we know as the "Great Commission" and see that there were doubters even as Jesus stood in their midst. What all did they doubt? We are left to wonder. But Jesus gives them a command, a reassurance in whatever it was... whether they are doubting Jesus and his authority or their place in His commission. At times I classify myself as one of those doubters.

I read this passage and think about Africa, this amazing place God has used as a blanket for my heart. I wonder if I will ever return to this awesome continent and the inhabitants of this land so far away. I read this passage and see the word "go" and think that means I would be leaving what I am doing. BUT, what if it means to stay? What if that go is directed toward the here and now, my job, or my passions here? I see "all nations" and remember there are lost ALL around me. ALL encompasses EVERY, not just a nation far from my own. Patience... patience is whispered into my soul. Patience to wait for a time when go means to go and not to stay. I then realize God does have a purpose for me here and now does fit into his perfect plan even if here is not necessarily where I want to be. Patience then takes control as go means here... and I pray that someday go will mean there once again.
---------------------------------------
"Then the eleven disciples left for Galilee, going to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him -- but some of them doubted! Jesus came and told his disciples, "I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.""

~*Matthew 28:16-20 (NLT)*~

No comments:

Post a Comment