Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Leviticus 19:11-18

So there are a few great rules in life that I hope I live by. The obvious one would be to love God with my everything. The other is to love others the way I want to be loved, doing only to them what I want done to me. We also call that the Golden Rule. I used to think that the first time that was mentioned in the Bible was in the Gospels. I now realize that I was obviously incorrect, especially since it is in the book of Leviticus very near to the beginning of the Bible. It is a reoccurring statement, request, and command throughout the entire Bible. Over and over again God spoke in the Old Testament about loving others. Jesus echoed those commands in the Gospels. All throughout the New Testament the request of loving was reiterated.

So why do we fail so often to love others? Why do we not always love others more than we love ourselves. Why do we treat some in ways we would never want to be treated? As I sit and read and meditate over this concept, my heart is convicted because I know my own selfishness. I am jabbed by the answer that it is simply because I am looking out for me over everybody else. It definitely cuts down to pride and selfishness. It is a concept to think on and work out. We preach loving others and even that we should love them more than ourselves. So let's do it. Let's love more selflessly and humbly. It is what we have been called to do since the beginning of time!
--------------------------------
"Do not steal. Do not deceive or cheat one another."

~*Leviticus 19:11-18 (NLT)*~

No comments:

Post a Comment