Friday, May 13, 2011

Philippians 4:2-9

"Why can't we all just get along?" Such a simple question, but a legitimate one. I mean think about it a little bit. When it comes to "groups" within Christianity, why can't we get along? Let me ask another question: What is our MAIN PURPOSE for being on this planet? TO GLORIFY GOD!!!! TO KNOW GOD AND TO MAKE HIM AND ALL OF HIS GLORY KNOWN THROUGHOUT THE EARTH!!! That is what we should be most concerned with in our lives. God should be the most important, the top priority in our lives. I may seem a bit radical but I see it as something really important to take note of. AND I REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE JESUS!!!

While I was in Africa, we spent a week in a little village called Nkum. During one of the evenings towards the end of that week, we walked through Nkum talking to people about Jesus. One question struck me then, but I had never really thought about it until recently. That question came from a man who was not sure he wanted anything to do with Christianity. Many "missionaries" had been through before trying to get them to believe this or that or explain religion to him. I can't remember exactly how the question was phrased because he was talking in a language that our translators needed translators for. It was something along the lines of "If there is one God to serve, why are there so many "kinds" of Christianity? Why not just one? And why are there different beliefs and so much fighting over what to believe?"

If you think about it, looking at Christianity from that perspective would make me not want anything to do with it. I've heard so many people say that they want no part in Jesus or the "Christian World" because people are always arguing, churches splitting over issues we may never have an answer for or resolve, "religions" fighting among each other. Why is there so much fighting within the Christian world? Where are we truly focusing our energy? I guess to me, if we are focusing our lives around the God of the Bible, it is made pretty clear how we should follow, act, believe, obey, and love God. That message is pretty clear in the Bible if we pick it up and dive in. However, it seems to me that we pay more attention to the details that are NOT God, even if they are in the Bible. They are details that we do not know for sure here on earth and may NEVER know the truth about.

Where SHOULD our minds be? Philippians 4:8 says we should focus on truth, honor, justice, purity, loveliness, things commendable, excellence, and praise-worthiness. What possesses ALL of that and MORE? If you answered Jesus Christ, you are correct!!! So I will ask you again: What is our purpose here on earth? Is it to fight amongst ourselves, over who is right and who is wrong, and deter others from knowing Jesus? Or is our purpose focused on God alone and making Him known? To me, we can bet very legalistic and religious with a "do this, do that, or go to hell" mentality. That is where we fight. Let God determine what is right or wrong, where we go when we die, and whether He chose us or we chose Him. In the end it will be God telling us who belongs with the sheep and who will be with the goats. Right now, I pray we choose to live for God's purpose on this earth: His glory alone.
------------------------------------------------
"Now I appeal to Euodia and Syntyche. Please, because you belong to the Lord, settle your disagreement. And I ask you, my true partner, to help these two women, for they work hard with me in telling others the Good News. They worked along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are written in the Book of Life.

Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again -- rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me -- everything you from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you."

~*Philippians 4:2-9*~

No comments:

Post a Comment