Monday, May 9, 2011

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is God breathed. What a wonderful truth to think on!! Unfortunately I've always only thought of this passage in regards to Christians using Scripture on other Christians. Do we always use this God-breathed Scripture for the purpose it was meant for? Do we use it for any other purpose than those listed: teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training? I find myself struggling with discernment sometimes. What are my motives in using Scripture "on people"? Is it truly done "in righteousness" or is there some selfish motive to make people feel guilty or sorry about something they've done? (Like I admitted, I've only ever thought of it this way which is sad to me but now I see a new and brighter and better meaning in the passage!!!)

At the same time, does this apply for person to person interaction only? I think it could take on a different form. I believe it could serve as a beautiful reminder of how God ministers to us. It serves to teach us in God to creation interaction. When I am caught in sin or disobedience, it doesn't have to be a person calling me out on it. Often God brings His written word to my mind to rebuke or correct me. We obviously learn and are trained for God's work through studying the Scriptures as well. So, as obvious, as this should have been to me before now, I saw this passage in a different light today. Not only believers teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training believers through the Word but also, and to me more importantly, God uses it in our lives to mold us into what He wants us to be in order that we may do the work He has set before us. All the more reason to dive into His Word daily!!
-------------------
"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work."
~*2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NLT)*~

No comments:

Post a Comment