Wednesday, May 11, 2011

John 15:5-8

Faith is not merely a feeling, but more of a belief.
Faith does not have to see to believe.
Faith is a relationship with our Lord God, a heart hunger for a relationship with Him.
Faith is not just head knowledge but more of a heart knowledge of His love.

"If you remain in mea, and my words remain in you..."

From personal experience, this phrase can define a relationship with Jesus, and that is definitely not a bad thing. It should be part of the definition of relationship with Him. As a new believer, I thought I could learn to love Jesus through other people. I thought I could learn about the Bible without really studying it or reading it but instead through others and what they would say or teach. I was like a sponge but I did not fill up with clean living water and my excuse was because I hated reading (weak I know). When I started wringing out into another person, I wasn't soaking up the living, pure water of God and the Word. How can you "remain" if you have never been? I dried out. I was so dry I felt like I failed (yes sponges can fail). Those feelings turned into depression and I was ready to throw myself out with the dirty dish water.

I felt as though God must not love me enough to want to use me because I was so dry. I did not feel Jesus in my heart. I had the head knowledge gained from those around me and I knew in my head what I was supposed to believe. My heart, however, told a different story. It was broken. I didn't "feel" Jesus in my heart. I didn't have a knowledge of His love and relationship in my heart. How can Jesus be in me if I've disobeyed so much? How can He be in my heart if I did not even follow such a big command of being in the Word and studying the Word? Fortunately, through the help of those I chose to listen to, I began to study the Bible more. I began to turn to the Word and gradually God began to fill my dry heart with living, clean, pure, cool water.

There were and still are days and even seasons when I feel dry but that is when the Living Water in me reminds me to be patient and keep loving and following. He is the only one who can refresh, replenish, and overflow our hearts with that pure, living water. What a wonderful reason to be in the Lord!!! Faith can include feelings and when we drink of the Living Water we will feel quite refreshed!!!
--------------------------------
"I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."
~*John 15:5-8*~

No comments:

Post a Comment